A Quote For Today

Remember, ignorance can be fixed….but you can’t fix stupid.

3 Likes

When there’s an unpleasant job needs doing, it’s better to just do it rather than live with the dread of it.

2 Likes

@Wanda3 , if you like words, try this: Can you name the common English word which has two meanings that are opposite of each other?

@David38
I’m thinking…dont want to cheat and look this up so give me a minute or hours…

today…means today until tomorrow when the today that was today just became yesterday?

(I’ll keep thinking…)

2 Likes

If you don’t have anything positive to contribute by all means keep it to yourself.

1 Like

Take all the time you like.

2 Likes

overlook?

1 Like

You are referring to a Janus word or Contranyms. There are more than one. A few are fast, cleave and sanction.

2 Likes

@Joseph202 , @Wanda3… Never said there was just one. “Cleave” is what I was going for.

How about something a little different? A word who’s meaning has become, over time, the opposite of its earlier meaning. Hint: It’s not slang or a colloquialism.

1 Like

@David38 slang words are coming to mind but you said no slang…hmmmm

1 Like

There about 75. What are you looking for?

3 Likes

Republic.

1 Like

Liberal…our founding fathers were thought of as liberals in their day.

1 Like

In fact, they were labeled as traitors by the ruling authorities.

2 Likes

Correct, the question was what words have had the meaning changed over the years. Liberal back then was more individual freedom. While today it has taken on a more government reliance meaning.

Like gay. When I was very young it meant happy. Today it means/leans towards homosexuality.

3 Likes

I’m thinking of a word less…political. It is a word in a commonly used phrase.

“Darkness can not drive out darkness, only light can do that! Hatred can not drive out hatred, only love can do that!”

• A leader
  • A father
  • A Christian
  • A hero
  • A King
    ~ Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
4 Likes

It was so hot the corn started popping in the fields, the chickens thought it was snow, and froze to death.

5 Likes

8 Likes

OK< the word I was thinking of is “moot”. Today its primary usage is to mean something which has been rendered irrelevant by new conditions or information. In earlier times it was used to mean a subject fit for discussion or debate.

1 Like