A Question of Tactics

Guess I should have noted the sarcasm in that comment!
I profile anything that moves, my wife and I play a game similar to the KIMs game ( Rudyard Kipling 1901 ).
From the time someone is in our path to crossing it, we will know what color your footwear is, how many buttons on your shirt, if you smoke, bra size, eye color, medications your on and even your non visible tattoos!
If we are really concentrating, we can find out where you live, your phone number and your date of birth! How? In our neck of the woods, stand close enough without being detected at the local pharmacy! It’s a treasure trove of information. Just open your ears! Personally I dislike this, when the pharmacist wants to verify who I am, I will hand them my drivers license! Not spout off my address and phone number.

Just kidding, about the tattoos. We scan cars and crowds and quiz each other on our findings. It’s people watching on a predatory scale, an art form if you will. Everyone is the enemy and no one can be trusted, unless we detect you printing, then we know your one of us! This is especially useful at gas stations, fairs and just good old grocery shopping!

We are somewhat surprised at what we see and hear on a daily basis. We moved into our neighborhood 33 years ago. The population was about 150 ( really a quiet sleepy community of about 58,000 with a median age of 78 ) today it’s a 185,000 with a median age of 45. We knew it was coming, that’s why we started our business. We new the community would grow. Unfortunately the demographics have changed significantly in the past 10-15 years and not for the better.
Am I profiling? I’m gathering as much information, about people in front of me and behind me, as I possibly can, sorta like dating, on a less intimate scale. Unfortunately I probably know more about the guy sitting in his blue ford at the grocery store today than I know about my first date!

4 Likes

@Mike164
Just curious, I’m not familiar with Main Street - Is it a residential street or a street with stores? What was around you in your immediate surroundings? What was the distance between you and the two oncoming young guys? Could you and R have possibly turned into a store or pretended you were going to a residence to divert the oncoming young guys? Avoidance would have been my first choice if possible. If their intentions were to pursue you after you turned away, then you would have at least bought a little time to draw your weapon. Just my 2 cents.

5 Likes

We were right in here some where. Mind you all of these store fronts are boarded up right now, getting ready to take it all out and build a high rise.

1 Like

Away from R , you are in a better position to help her. If she carry, she will help you too.

3 Likes

If it got real fast, I might end up pushing R off her x and retreating the opposite direction off my x as a kind of distraction. Maybe startle the attackers enough to give myself a few more fractions of a second. I also like the idea, if both of you had a panic word or have talked about these kind of scenarios and we’re capable, of separating. Giving the attackers two separate targets may give you and R a tactical advantage.

3 Likes

Man that is a tough situation and tough to arm-chair quarterback. Personally, their movement would dictate my movement and I’d react from there. In a perfect world you could say jump in front of R because if you’re carrying appendix, 3 or 5, you can draw faster than she can from her purse, so your interference gives her time while you draw. Who knows, tough to critique. Glad it didn’t come to anything. I profile for sure all the time. Not even how somebody looks but how they’re looking at me or other people. Some times it’s a dead giveaway.

2 Likes

When the bad guy has the drop, drawing will get you smoked.
Move in fromt of R and extend weak hand toward the bad guy(distraction while covering R). Back away. As you empty pocket(s) with strong hand. Smart money is toss the contents to bad guy’s strong side(where he has gun) so he has to turn away to retrieve contents…
At that moment, it is fight or flight. Best move is flight, but if there’s not cover, im drawing and shooting.
Never draw on someone who has the drop on you, unless they are so distracted you can draw and shoot. Most dont practice draw/shoot at the range and you are at a 5 second draw time… this is a recipe for getting shot. Moving away and getting to cover is always best scenario if possible.

3 Likes

One thing I was taught in the military is that in times of stress you automatically revert to your lowest level of training. Your natural instinct is going to be to shield your wife but that may not necessarily be the best course of action. Discuss with your wife what the best course of action for BOTH of you would be in that scenario and both of you train to that.

2 Likes

Better yet, make sure you’re both ready to draw in self-defense. Then you just have to keep out of her line of fire.

1 Like

First off you NEVER KNOW WHAT YOUR REACTION WILL BE untill it happens to you,so with that out of the way,both of you need to train in diffent scenarios ass you train your motor memory and dont fire to wound,fire to STOP,also in the case mentioned it to separate and to fall behind and make turn arounds so you are facing them as you walk,but as long as they keep walking away,do not confront,but once again I remind you to practice,practice,practice I both of you need to practice as a TEAM,that way you will silently know what your partner is going to do. but since this happenned to you and your wife,you need to practice what yo will do until you move automatically that you dont remember that you did it

1 Like

Face tattoos? I don’t care if its Mother Theresa and the Pope, they are getting profiled by me, period.

As they approach they will get my complete attention. If I have to draw my wife is trained to get behind me, NOT to use me as cover but to draw her own gun and cover my 6, basically she’s in charge of what’s behind me since I have the two guys in front taken care of us she needs to cover my back (they hunt in packs and they are getting sexier in their attacks).

If behind me is clear my wife will get a firm grasp of my shoulder and lead me to cover as I walk backwards and fire my gun at the threat(s) on the move.

Is she draws and starts shooting first the roles are reversed…

If they just walk by I will stop and face my wife for a moment and have a casual conversation to make sure they are continuing down the road and not coming back for an attack from behind. I also use every glass surface in town as a mirror to keep track of what’s behind me.

This has all been rehearsed at the range/home and it’s based on training we’ve received.

4 Likes

Love it, I use mirrors, windows, shadows… all of the time.

3 Likes

I have a special grand daughter in the house and I did buy a key chaine alarm for the care givers and my doughter and grand doughter and I instructed all of them that if they are in the house and som one is breaking in to set the alarmes and to hit the floor as I will be coming in from the garage/man cave or my bedroom and any one standing will be going down,and I have been having them practice themove and I do come in on practices with weapon unloaded so they will do the hit the floor with out waiting and you they all know it is a practice and they are getting it down pat

1 Like

Special needs grandaughter

1 Like

And situational awareness is more than just noticing people. It’s knowing where there are exits, cover, concealment, potential improvised weapons and other helpful things near you. When you walk through town you should be paying attention to EVERYTHING you pass in case you might have to run back to it in a big hurry.

2 Likes

If I walk down a side walk,i always walk on the street side of the sidewalk and at ally entrences i always glance down them,and also stop at stoer fronts to look ito the glass to see what is across the street and if i recognize any one 2 or 3 times

2 Likes

Too great a post Matt, that you made me start a whole new topic/string, springing from your ideas. :blush:

1 Like

Basic human nature is a clue. Human beings focus on a threat. They respond in some way to a threat. If armed with a firearm and shooting is appropriate, they shoot at a threat. If these gang bangers pulled a gun (for a robbery) and you responded with a firearm, bullets would be sent your way. They could miss and hit R or they could over penetrate and hit R. If you separated yourself from R they would track you. If R did not have a firearm she would be less of a threat and more likely to NOT be shot at. If R produced a firearm then they would have to deal with two separated threats. The separation will cause confusion (who do I shoot first) or if there are multiple attackers, which bad guy shoots which good guy. That confusion is in your favor. Coordinating the actions of multiple people in the heat of battle takes practice in that specific area, something bad guys may not have. I faced this scenario once years ago in north New Orleans at 3:30 AM. I foolishly stepped in front of my wife to protect her. It was a natural reaction but, in my opinion, it was the wrong reaction. I have trained to never do that again.

1 Like

You could always try the Bugs Bunny approach and pretend you’re on their side until the threat passes.

Don’t mock it. I have a relative who survived one of the 2020 riots with this approach.

1 Like