81 years ago

16 Likes

NICE PIC :+1: :+1: MR guns and gear

3 Likes

I wonder how many in the general population know the significance of December 7, the day that will live infamy… for a generation or two. I recall referencing the date (on the date) to someone a number of years ago and their not knowing it.

7 Likes

I’m thinking its already happening :frowning_face:

9 Likes

Yeah, I had the same experience, yesterday. I got a lot of confused looks.

If you want to confuse them even more, talk about how the Japanese attacked the Philippines at the same time, even though the date looks different.

EDIT: For reference-
The Japanese attacks on the Phillippines, Guam, Wake island, Malaya, Singapore, Hong Kong, etc. all happened within hours of the attack on Pearl. It was all part of a massive simultaneous attack campaign. In terms of geography, it was one of the largest military operations in history. Hawaii was separated by these other targets by the international date line, but officials in Washington, DC would have received news of these attacks on the same day.

13 Likes

It is depressing, especially in the context of 1/06/21. It’s disgusting to see 1/6/21 being declared as the WORST thing to happened to America. It shows such a lack of respect for the public intelligence of Americans and 0 respect for the numerous sacrifices that have made this country great.

13 Likes

Yeah, but the parties only care about money & power. No donors are giving money because of what happened at Pearl Harbor in 1941. Heck, they barely even mention 11 Sept 2001, anymore.

7 Likes

I’ll see your January 6th and 9/11 and raise…

7 Likes

When was that? When I was there a couple years ago, the COVID rules were in place anywhere and everywhere I went. I couldn’t walk into any business without showing my VAX card. It was worse than any foreign nation I’d ever visited. I even had to register my hotel room with the state so that they could come and inspect me, if needed.

I was there again earlier this year, and this was no longer a requirement on Oahu, including the Navy base and memorials.

7 Likes

Guess it was around September 2020

3 Likes
4 Likes

Bought my motorhome…haven’t had a vaxxed person in it yet…we’re all good. No restaurants, no hotels, no covid thus far.
Guess I’d need flotation tires to make Oahu…or get back in sailing.

8 Likes

I’m glad you’re still here.

3 Likes

:us: :us: :us: :us: :us: :us: :us: :us:

3 Likes

Ha ha, yeah, somehow I survived even though people didn’t have to prove they were vaccinated.

3 Likes

The Fable of Mitsuo and Gus

When most people hear the word “fable” they think of a fairy tale or some sort of a fictional short story. That is true, but a fable can also be a short subject discussion of someone or something famous or legendary. That is what this post is all about.

So why is this here today on USCCA? Well there are two good reasons for this and several just because …

It is my opinion that there are those sports fans caught up in a variety of games at this time of year, myself included. Especially football. But for now we need to take a breath and grab hold of some good old fashion perspective…

…like remembering football is a game. There are truly more important things to remember.

It was 81 years ago that two men made a decision to stay up all night. They never knew each other, would never meet, but they came somewhat face to face with each other in a whirling hell of fire, smoke, and death.

They were Mitsuo and Gus, and they would spend the rest of their lives reconciling that day.

Mitsuo Fuchida was a Commander in the Imperial Japanese Navy and was assigned to the Carrier Flagship Akagi. He had been chosen to design and lead a carrier based attack on the Naval Facilities at Pearl Harbor at Honolulu, Hawaii. It was about to dawn on December 7th, 1941.

As Fuchida moved about the deck and hangars of the Akagi making last minute preparations another navy man, Gus was taking advantage of leave and was casually betting one of many poker hands at an all-night game in a small cottage up the hill from the harbor. Gus was a Lieutenant in the United States Navy assigned to the mine layer U.S.S. Oglala currently docked at Battleship Row.

A few hours later Fuchida sitting in the rear seat of a “Kate” torpedo bomber, swept down the eastern shore of Oahu with hundreds of Japanese planes waiting his commands. He then ordered the attack signal man to broadcast “To, To, To”! This was the command to “Attack, attack, attack”!

A few moments later, Mitsuo Fuchida personally broadcasted the famous words “Tora, Tora, Tora”! These words meant that the attack was occurring as a complete surprise to the enemy, and that included Gus.

As Gus quickly made his way down the hill and onto the base, he could see plumes of ugly black smoke billowing up from Battleship Row. Gus ran between the tank farm (a target Fuchida had not included in his plans) and the Navy Hospital. Gus was always impressed by the beautifully manicured lawns and landscaping surrounding the hospital in stark contrast to the tank farm and shipyard. On that morning there was an even more stark contrast due to the neat rows of body bags lining the grass.

It was an image Gus would never forget.

Another image was of a second wave of Japanese warplanes flying in to meet a lone Kate circling above. Fuchida had stayed behind to welcome and direct the second attack. He looked down at that tank farm, the hospital, and the faces of American sailors looking up at him.

By the end of the second attack Fuchida was on his way back to the Akagi and Gus was making his way to the Oglala. Gus found the Oglala completely listed over on its side. More stunning was the Arizona diagonally across the harbor docked at Ford Island still belching acrid black smoke and preparing to make its way to the bottom with many of her dead forever trapped inside. The Arizona is still there today as a solemn memorial, and still trickles up to the surface the black oil that burned so fiercely 81 years ago.

Mitsuo, Gus, and the world itself would never be the same.

Mitsuo Fuchida went on to face one miraculous escape from death after another during the war. Most notably was when the Akagi was hit and sunk during the Battle of Midway and later at Hiroshima, Japan. Fuchida had visited Hiroshima the day before it was destroyed by the atomic bomb, and then visited the day after. Everyone with him would sooner or later die of radiation exposure. Fuchida was unaffected.

Fuchida while struggling with these miracles met an American missionary in Tokyo shortly after the war. Ultimately, Mitsuo Fuchida came to believe that he was divinely spared and went on to become a beloved Christian Evangelist …. in the United States!

As the ultimate “Sky Pilot”, Fuchida met with many former enemy Commanders such as Nimitz, Halsey, and Spruance. Fuchida developed a great love for these men and all the American people.

Quite interesting is that Mitsuo Fuchida developed the opinion that the atomic bomb had actually saved many lives. By his own accounting at least ½ million.

Gus had also formed that same opinion. He once told me that had he gone on to invade Japan, I might not have ever been born.

So for today, let’s forget the NCAA, the NFL, and all the other less important stuff. Let’s remember Pearl Harbor and all the lives that were lost or changed.

And for me, I will cherish my Dad’s memory and my recollections of a man who hated the Japanese for years after retiring at the rank of Lt. Commander, but slowly changed to only hating the selfish evil men who led two beautiful peoples into a terrible, terrible war.

Post Script: Dad never mentioned the body bags until shortly before he passed. I had never heard them mentioned and never saw pictures. Then, while viewing the remake of the movie “Midway” released in 2019, there they were in a most poignant scene. It took my breath away and brought tears to me eyes.

6 Likes

I was on Oahu for 6 weeks this year (June - July) and masks or vax cards were not required. In 2021, you had to show a vax card and wear a mask to get into a restaurant.

2 Likes

Hey, that’s the same time I was there.
Are you the guy who cut me off on the H1? :rofl:

3 Likes

very moving story I and others really appreciate the time and courage :heartbeat: it took to write it :us: :us: :us:

4 Likes

Highly doubtful :upside_down_face: I tend to avoid H1. Going back there next month for a few weeks.

3 Likes