80% pistol for EDC?

Just a simple question. Would you use a pistol that began life as an 80% frame for EDC? Please explain your answer.

My answer is no because I want the rails to be imbedded into the frame material not just pushed into slots. I’m not saying that I would not have an 80% gun for fun.

This is not intended to be a “The Second Amendment allows me to carry whatever I want” thread. And, it is not intended to be a legal discussion of homemade guns or guns without serial numbers.

If this topic has been covered before, well excuse me (ala Steve Martin).

4 Likes

I would use whatever means necessary to protect my family. 80% firearms can be just as reliable as factory built, if assembled properly. Just my 2 cents.

6 Likes

Anything in a pinch but for EDC?

2 Likes

As long as it is reliable I would. I live on the left coast and it is not illegal yet. I don’t use one at this time, but if things change I wouldn’t discount it.

5 Likes

Yes. Make sure they function 100 percent and “carry on”.

4 Likes

If it runs at 100% I would not have an issue.

5 Likes

Mr. Mike, please use and purchase what firearm is the best fit firearm for YOU. In this day and time we can not even step on a side walk crack without being chewed out for it, because someone thinks it is illegal.

Your EDC is what you train and practice with every day and it maybe a .50 Caliber or a .22 Magnum, but
it is yours and you are the best at what you do and you take full responsibility for. I have and carry several types of firearms and out of that pile of 12 pistols, my Sig Sauer P320 Compact 9mm is the all
American to me and it is accurate and has past many test. My 2 *10mm s are large but they are there
to train with, but not for a day to day EDC.

Thank you !

3 Likes

No. Same reasons I wouldn’t choose handloads as first choice defensive ammo.

I’m handy, and I’m careful — but am I consistently as accurate as modern industrial processes? I probably am with ammo, but I’m not certain enough to go to the street with it. I’d be less confident with firearm manufacturing.

A secondary reason is if I should get into a muddle with a firearm, I don’t want to end up arguing about my “evilness” because I chose to use homemade tools and equipment.

1 Like

Definitely interesting question. I’m not sure, but I’d lean towards “no”.

In the category of “why not”… if it is legal in your area, and you have confirmed the weapon fires reliably… well… why not?

In the category of “why”… What does an 80% get you that you can’t get from an off-the-shelf (OTS) firearm? An OTS will often be cheaper, you don’t have to worry (as much) about reliability, and it requires much less effort on the owner’s part.

I can understand why you might consider it, if you have a 80% setup the way you like it and you trust that it is reliable, especially if you already have it. But it seems like OTS is a better path to getting a good EDC firearm.

3 Likes

If it has potential to wind up in an evidence locker, I want my numbers on it.

2 Likes

Absolutely not. Because there is such a thing as “asking for it” from the cops+prosecutor+jury. I am not saying that is fair or right, but it is what it is…

4 Likes

Thanks, Tom

1 Like

Thanks.

1 Like