77yo in jail for shooting intruder

Dan Cali ain’t the place to be any more.

4 Likes

Not sure what to say here……

Seems like a good shoot on the homeowners part.

They were trying to force entry, one of the was armed (I have replica guns and at a glance they’re identical to the real guns!)

However,….

Why did he have a stolen gun?

Did he chase the perps?

Did he shoot the dead one in the back?

I’m sure there’s more to this story.

4 Likes

I don’t understand why we are discussing ongoing investigation.
He shot and killed a human being so it is obvious he would be arrested for further investigation.

BTW, according to Alameda County jail records, he was released from jail three days ago without facing any charges in the killing.

4 Likes

Not in all cases. I’ve seen news stories where the defender was let free on scene of the shooting. Because it was obvious it was self defense. A 77 yo man and two people breaking into the house; I would shake his hand, tell him sorry for his inconvenience then tell him well done.

8 Likes

I am with you, William! If you want to deter break-ins, this will do it. Why do we tolerate criminal behavior?

2 Likes

Because I (they) have a bleeding heart and a brain the size of a pea.

1 Like

I agree. Whenever there is no doubt - defender is let free. Even in IL we had few cases where DA found shooting to be a good one and there was no jail time.
But we have to accept the fact that shooting ended with death may result with arrest and sometimes a jail time.
It doesn’t matter if you are 77 or 22 years old. It doesn’t matter that two people broke to your house. What matters is a fact of shooting in certain moment of time. If there is a doubt if that shooting was a good one - that the reason for a jail.

I know… we may not agree with everything I wrote… but Law is a Law and somebody has to take a responsibility of fair judging. For us, people reading the story everything is simple, black & white. But finding the truth is more complicated.

1 Like

Thanks Colion, So if he used a Machete to defend himself would the DA still hold him while instigating?

1 Like

IIRC the law stated a person(s) breaking into your home can be assumed to be there to cause great bodily harm. To me at least that means if the body is found in the house and evidence shows it was a break in, then defender should be cleared right there and then. Granted police are human and make mistakes and one should be prepared to spend a night or more in jail. Thus call the USCCA number.

2 Likes

Varied by the State.
If you look at the home invasion / break-ins cases with shooting you will find a lot that ended with murder charge and conviction.
Dead body found inside a house is not an indicator that it was a good decision and home owner must be awarded by default. Nope, it doesn’t work this way.

As I mentioned already… not everyone is happy about it but reality is not so simple as it seems. It is easy to see everything from outside and judge by emotions, but first - we collect facts then judge.

1 Like

If accurate, the “possession” of a stolen gun kinda’ raises an eyebrow!

2 Likes

If you go by the example given above it says you can assume they intend great bodily harm, as does my state. Now that doesn’t stop a woke DA from coming after you and putting you through the wringer. As I said previously “if the evidence shows” then you should be set free right there. Always call the USCCA hotline to help out regardless. Police tend to slow their roll with a lawyer there or soon to be there.

I saw on YT where there is now insurance you can get for traffic stops and the LEO talks to the lawyer.

1 Like