6.5 grendel

Just wished to dip into the well of knowledge, and see if anyone has any experience with the 6.5 grendel?
Likes/dislikes?
What I know(lol) is that it does have a solid b.c. and can reach out past the 5.56.
That’s about it. Any input/guidance I would be grateful for!

3 Likes

I have not taken the plunge into the 6.5 Grendel world yet, but If I can find an upper for the AR platform at a good price I might’
Here is what I know the B.C. is .510, very good, will fit in the AR platform and is a good long range cartridge. Best performance should be with the Hornady A-Max 124 grain. Velocity around 2312 to 2398 fps, slower than my 22-250 but carries a heavy bullet.
Should give good barrel life when ran on the low side of velocity and with the 124 grain bullet should make for a great varmit weapon.
Good Luck

Larry

3 Likes

The Grendel is a solid platform developed for the target world and is exceedingly efficient. That said it offers pretty doggone good terminal performance on light boned up to medium sized critters. Have a bud with one that I helped develop loads for and I was impressed with the consistency out of the gate out to 880 yards (his max range). IIRC it likes Varget, 748 and BLC-2. It’s another “short, fat steep shoulder” cartridge that is very efficient, proving what P.O. Ackley stated all those years ago.

Cheers,

Craig6

4 Likes

I just recently posted about the Grendel. I think it is an amazing round that offers much from the AR 15 platform. Hard hitting and accurate, with high BC bullets. I got into it so I could hunt deer with my AR. 5.56 is not a legal deer round in Virginia. The ballistics place it between the 5.56 and the .308 in performance, roughly.

3 Likes

Here is the 5.56 beside the 6.5 Grendel. Note that the length of the cartridge is the same. The bullet is much longer and, as such, has a much higher BC. This round stays supersonic well past 1000 yards.

6 Likes

I have zero experience with the Grendel, but I LOVE the 6.5 Creedmore.

So have y’all been stacking venison like cordwood with the Grendel?

If I knew then what I know now the 6.5 would have been on my line up.
Can’t complain. It’s been a blast.
( Whitetail Kryptonite )

2 Likes

you will also need grendel mags IIRC… they hold 25 rounds…

the rounds are slightly fatter if ya look at the picture above…

1 Like

My white tail days are over but ; the memories will remain forever.
Good hunting and good eating.

1 Like

Well next time you are passing through TN I’ll have to fix you up with farm raised pork…

Hello All. I have noticed that the 6mm ARC is all the rage in some circles. It is based on the Grendel and has a lighter round. It seems to be a solid long-range round, seemingly better than the Grendel at distance.

I have not personally hunted with my Grendel yet. I did build it for that purpose but have developed some health issues that kept me out of the woods for some time. Anecdotal accounts seem very favorable for whitetail and hogs.

Have a nice day folks

2 Likes

I’m waiting for a 7mm version. Hopefully they will build barrels one day.

I have no personal experience with the 6.5 or 6 anything so I do not mean to speak out of turn or pose an ignorant opinion. My point is simply availability. Remember just a few short months ago how difficult 9mm, .45 ACP. .380 ACP, .38/.357, 30.06, .308, .270, .243, 7mm, etc. was to obtain if obtainable at all? How difficult will it be to acquire the above referenced rounds if things really go sideways like the loonies are trying to accomplish now? I know I looked over every available cartridge in places to buy ammunition over the past year and a half or so and only just recently have 6.5 one-or-the-other been available, sporadically and very limited, at all. They are not real inexpensive, either. I suppose you can reload if you have all of the components stocked up but even that has its limits. Simply from an availability stand point, would it be worth it to have? Please understand I am not trying not be negative or slur any particular caliber; to each his own. Just sayin’ nothing does you much good if you can’t find what you need to go in it.

I guess it depends. My observation was that the popular caliber components went out of stock first and the obscure ones followed. Now it seems like popular caliber have been available and now some less common is coming back in stock. We found 280 Remington the other day for example.
Anyway I’d assume that the people who are looking at something besides 223/556 probably own multiple firearms and are looking at something else to fill a specific requirement like being legal for deer hunting in their state. Look at 350 legend for another example. I believe that the firearms/gun deer hunting season in Kentucky for example is less than two weeks long, so someone with two 20 round boxes of ammunition could get zerod in and hunt for several years if they had to.

2 Likes

Another advantage for being a hand loader. If a person was desperate brass can be reformed. If you didn’t care about what the headstamp said you can take some 243 brass you picked up off the ground at a public shooting range and then run it through your 308 resizing die and enjoy! Same thing with 270 and 30-06 but it would need to be trimmed a few thousandths of an inch after the conversion.

And if you trimmed any of those to 0.898” and reamed the inside of the case, you have 45 acp brass.

1 Like

You make a perfectly valid point sir. Even now, it is, and has been, very difficult to find 6.5 Grendel. I have grabbed some when I found it for the last two years. Needless to say, it tends to be expensive.

I have been wondering all this time. Will things ever be as they were before Covid?

2 Likes

@Barry54
You sound like a wealth of knowledge and a good resource to learn from regarding my newly acquired “hobby” :wink: May need to PM you for some insight into available “options” only experience would teach me otherwise.
Component acquisition has been a priority over the past 4-5 months for the possibility of the aforementioned “desperate” circumstances that may shortly become a sad reality. Since “chance favors the prepared mind”, I would rather much rather be prepared with available items as opposed to having to worry about getting prepared with items that are hard or impossible to procure when you need them the most. Thank you, sir, for the kind reply. :+1:

1 Like

@Virgil_H
IMHO, to answer your question directly…no. I’m afraid the answer to a lot of questions in the future will begin with “Well, before the virus…”

2 Likes