6.5 grendel

Just wished to dip into the well of knowledge, and see if anyone has any experience with the 6.5 grendel?
Likes/dislikes?
What I know(lol) is that it does have a solid b.c. and can reach out past the 5.56.
That’s about it. Any input/guidance I would be grateful for!

3 Likes

I have not taken the plunge into the 6.5 Grendel world yet, but If I can find an upper for the AR platform at a good price I might’
Here is what I know the B.C. is .510, very good, will fit in the AR platform and is a good long range cartridge. Best performance should be with the Hornady A-Max 124 grain. Velocity around 2312 to 2398 fps, slower than my 22-250 but carries a heavy bullet.
Should give good barrel life when ran on the low side of velocity and with the 124 grain bullet should make for a great varmit weapon.
Good Luck

Larry

3 Likes

The Grendel is a solid platform developed for the target world and is exceedingly efficient. That said it offers pretty doggone good terminal performance on light boned up to medium sized critters. Have a bud with one that I helped develop loads for and I was impressed with the consistency out of the gate out to 880 yards (his max range). IIRC it likes Varget, 748 and BLC-2. It’s another “short, fat steep shoulder” cartridge that is very efficient, proving what P.O. Ackley stated all those years ago.

Cheers,

Craig6

1 Like

I just recently posted about the Grendel. I think it is an amazing round that offers much from the AR 15 platform. Hard hitting and accurate, with high BC bullets. I got into it so I could hunt deer with my AR. 5.56 is not a legal deer round in Virginia. The ballistics place it between the 5.56 and the .308 in performance, roughly.

2 Likes

Here is the 5.56 beside the 6.5 Grendel. Note that the length of the cartridge is the same. The bullet is much longer and, as such, has a much higher BC. This round stays supersonic well past 1000 yards.

4 Likes

I have zero experience with the Grendel, but I LOVE the 6.5 Creedmore.