5th rule of gun safety

@David38 - You hit on something I had run into a long time ago. When I started shooting a guy told me that “when someone hands you a gun, never ask them if it is loaded

I of course thought he was nuts, and then he explained that you should always check for yourself. Don’t assume that it isn’t.

4 Likes

#5 Maintain control of gun at all times. #6 defeat does not exist in this dojo.

5 Likes

#5 - A round in the chamber, hammer cocked, and safety on.
#6 - Avoid a fight if at all possible.

4 Likes

#5 be aware of what is between you and your target
#6 be aware of what is behind you

5 Likes
  1. There’s no such thing as being too safe . . . or having too much ammo.
6 Likes

Know the rules of legal use of deadly force

5 Likes

I beg to differ. I shoot to stay in oractice to defend life

2 Likes

Be aware of your surroundings

3 Likes

At a gun range, don’t relax until the gun is out of your hand or holstered.

2 Likes

Know what might come between you and your target.

Was teaching my brother in law to shoot a TC Hawken muzzle loader with set trigger when my Grandfather road a motorcycle across the range. Grandpa knew we were there, but was excited because he had not ridden in many years. Too close to tragedy.

2 Likes

being an instructor, my 5th rule was easy- don’t shoot the instructor!

6 Likes

Sometimes you have to shoot the hostage…

Seriously though, know who you are shooting with and never be afraid to call out unsafe behavior. Nicely the 1st time. Prob wont be shooting with someone who needs more than 2 of the same warnings

4 Likes

While enforcing the 1st 4 rules, be a great witness until otherwise and look good doing it.

3 Likes

truer word could not be spoken

1 Like

I agree to a point. However, there is one person I refuse to EVER be anywhere near when a firearm is present, even unloaded and broken down.

1 Like

Leave the range with the same number and size holes as one started with.

1 Like

How do you know the threat wasn’t behind him? :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Well, except to verify status. I would hate to assume it is loaded/unloaded and discover the state isn’t as imagined.

1 Like

Ideally, no exceptions. If you are the only one with access (as it should be with an EDC weapon), you know the status. Verifying, press checking etc. is when an ND happens.

1 Like

This is true, but when you use it for practice and need to clean it. Or when I go to places, such as gun shows, etc. I represent rights groups at events, mostly gun shows, and loaded firearms and mags are not allowed. I will not leave a firearm in my vehicle, if I have a choice. I do have a safe in my vehicle, but have only used it a couple times in the over 6 years I have had it.

Also, if you “always” have it in the holster, you still need to clean and lube it on occasion to ensure it is in working order (i.e., sweat and dust bunnies haven’t gummed the action). As to my CC, it typically does not go in the safe, when it is “off” my person, it is still close by, though still holstered. I will always do a status check to ensure the status before putting back on. As to NDs, it is not likely with my PX4 Storm, as it has a decocker that I engage before I do the status check, and my finger is nowhere near the trigger when doing that, and of course, it is pointed in a safe direction.

1 Like