.380 vs 9 mm - You Decide

I use a 9mm because of the cost of rounds. A good hollow point 9mm is a good self defensive round in my opinion. I carry a Glock G-43 for which I have 5 mags with 4 round extensions. There are times when I use the six round mag for the smaller footprint.
I recently purchased a G-45, but have not used it for concealed carry yet as I want to put a lot more rounds through it first.

3 Likes

Welcome to the Community @Pete_22!

1 Like

Thank you.

2 Likes

One big plus of the 9 is that today truly “small” 9mm’s are available. Years (many😏) ago their were no small 9’s and the .380 was king of the mouse guns. Other options were .32 and .25. The .380 was the “big bore”. Now a lot of 9’s are smaller than traditional .380’s (PPK, etc). With that said, .380’s are still great for many uses (bought a Smith EZ for the wife and she loves it.), low recoil, accurate. Like it’s been said, carry what YOU can shoot well and Will carry. The .22 short NAA in your pocket beats the .44 Mag model 29 that’s at home in the safe😊

5 Likes

I like both and carry both. Either one will put a bullet in someone trying to hurt you. It really depends on the person and what feels comfortable to them.

2 Likes

I don’t have a problem with .380, but 9mm does pack a little more powder.
My real preference is 9mm is easier to find with double stacked mags.

2 Likes

I am thinking about purchasing a Glock 42, aside from having more options in 9mm how do you like the 42?

1 Like

I’m not bashing,but it was funny. Having carried 357 mag and 45 ACP for a good while and not paying attention to my 9mm’s, when I went to load up some 9mm mags for practice something weird happened. I had a few cartridges laid on the shelf. I just passed them by expecting them to be the 380s I had stripped earlier. The 9mm looked so little after having looked exclusively at 357 and 45 so much. Trick of the eye, huh?
Anyway, we loaded up the truck and we moved to Beverly…wait…too much old tv. We loaded up the Beretta and went Home, Home On the Range.
I would have got a wake up call if I’d tried to load those rounds in a .380 mag with the old Uplula.

2 Likes

I carry a G26 but also have a G42. I prefer the 26 but carry the 42 if I have to go minimalist.
The G42 is really small in my hand.

3 Likes

I am thinking the 42 for ankle carry in church.

2 Likes

9 mm partly because of size. And for me easier to conceal!

1 Like

With 9mm cartridges longer than. 380, please explain why 9mm is easier to conceal.

1 Like

Partly because the gun I have was my husband’s! And I’ve gotten used to concealing it and just knowing how to shoot ! Just easy for me!

1 Like

if i ever went lower than a 9mm it would be a .32 auto (colt)…never been a fan of .380, only good thing is being able to use .380 ammo in a 9mm pistol and vice-versa, if you ever had to

2 Likes

Thanks, I understand now :+1:

2 Likes

I have never tried to load a 9mm cartridge into a .380, but would not expect it to go into battery and fire. Have you tried this?

I can visualize loading a .380 cartridge into a 9mm and it firing, but I would only do it in a life or death circumstance.

2 Likes

My understanding is that they are not interchangable, and that one should not ever attempt it.

3 Likes

i have tried it back in my reckless days (90"s)…definitely works, will misfire and jam as well from time to time, but it does work

2 Likes

And weight is a significant factor also. Size and weight. The 42 is a nice little firearm, checked on out, and the 26 is nice.
I would like to find a Taurus 738. At 10 oz is is low on weight, and the slide locks back on an empty mag… but they are starting to get hard to find and the Spectrum is still new and slightly heavier, though the reviews have been good for the most part.

1 Like

I love my 26

1 Like