.380 Alternatives

So My Wife has a Ruger LCP!! and a SW .380 ez she likes both guns However the price of Ammo has us singing the blues so what is a good alternative for a training gun. A 22 would not be as much punch and a 9 is a little too much. So anyone have some ideas ?

1 Like

I such case I would go with .22LR high velocity. Still not the same “kick” but you will receive almost the same mental impressions during the training.

I used M&P22C during 9mm shortage and found that the caliber didn’t matter for the training.
Remember - recoil happens always AFTER you press the trigger. :wink:

4 Likes

9 mm with a 5” barrel. I had a 1911 in 9 and the recoil was softer than every 380 I have shot

2 Likes

I would agree with Jerzy, the .22 is best alternative. Any training you do is good training. :us:

5 Likes

DASA IF YOU CAN FIND ONE. COMES W/two 10 round mags. Fun gun.

2 Likes

There’s a cheap alternative out there if you don’t mind single action revolvers. I’m not sure where you’re from, but the Rough Rider .22 usually goes on sale in Wisconsin at various Fleet Farm stores for about 99 dollars. My daughter bought one a few months ago. For an extra 30 bucks you can swap out the cylinder for a .22 magnum. That might give something a little closer to the .380, but not many like single action 6 shooters. But if you are short on cash, it’s something to look at and actually pretty fun to fire. For ammo, I always point to CCI’s website for .22 ammo. I check weekly, and very often what isn’t in one week, they will have the next, like .22 and .22 magnum.

2 Likes

Since your wife has the LCP in .380 then the LCP 2 in .22 might make a lot of sense. Pretty much identical handling with much cheaper ammo. Though it wouldn’t translate as well to using the EZ if that is her primary.

2 Likes

LCPII is her EDC and the EZ is Her Bedside home defense. We did pick up the LCP11 in 22 and use it at our range a lot.

1 Like

The Ruger is an excellent 22 at a great price & feels like a 9mm in your hand, Fantastic training gun & easy to breakdown & clean

2 Likes