$300 on Range Membership or New Firearm? Pros/Cons?

I have a “choice” to make. Should I spend my $300 on a yearly membership to my gun range OR buy that pretty shiny glinting metal Freedom Pew Pew instead? I HAVE a couple of handguns, none of which I feel are perfect so I’d like to upgrade and get something I’m a little more happy with. I also think I might just do more training with the handgun I have and improve my skills and learn to love the one I’m with. So, two “issues” and I can only throw money at one. I already know what I’m going to do but thought it’d be fun to see what you thought?

3 Likes

Is this your only option for a range?

2 Likes

No, I have other choices. But I just happen to live up the street from one of the premier ranges in the St. Louis Area. They are in the top 5 of the state (if not the #1). Having said that, I’m probably giving away what my choice is. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yearly range membership keeps you on business.
We all are busy - family, work… no time for other things… that was me last year.
Then I decided - I paid $499 for annual membership, and since that day I knew I had to change my schedule. If I spent that money, I had to find time to visit the range. I do not regret any penny paid for the range.
I did have unlimited range time and free gun rental -great deal. But the point is - we need the motivation to visit the range and practice. This is worthy any money.

7 Likes

There’s an indoor range here in town and a range about 30 minutes away called Dead Zero. It has plenty of 15 and 50 yard ranges, sporting clays and a 1000 yard range. They have monthly IDPA, 3 gun, and sporting clay contests.

3 Likes

Go for the better gun imo. It will last a lifetime, most likely appreciate in value and if it’s that much better of a gun you will want to train more with it. YMMV

3 Likes

I’ve never paid more than $40 a year, usually a club membership dues, to have access to a range. Of course these ranges are rather short on amenities; maybe a covered firing line and a portajohn. No gun store, no range officer, no running water. If you need something, you better bring it with you. Things may be different where you are.

You could consider selling/trading one or more of your imperfect handguns to add a little cash to the budget. Just an idea.

3 Likes

Hmmmm. I have a nice indoor range and a local club outside range. For me, I like the bare bones outside range. Usually pretty empty which allows me to do more defensive training drills vs the indoor. But for you. If it’s your only place to shoot/train, I guess the range.

3 Likes

Then I would trade one of the two, on said shiny new Freedom seed slinger, and save up another 3 bills. In the mean time, I would the “other” range choices available.

2 Likes

If you do not have the firearm you want how often will you go to the range?

Unless it is like our club where we let in new members once a year and they have to make one of the orientation meetings get the firearm you want first.

2 Likes

Go for the range to hone your skills. $300 a year is cheap in the grans scheme of things. You can always make a savings plan for a shiny new firearm.

4 Likes

What is more important to you. I pay $30 a month for the range and make sure I am there AT LEAST 2x a month to make it pay for itself. It also gets me discounts on firearms, ammo and other gear along with free rentals and free guest to share a lane with, one free transfer a month and one free class a month.

4 Likes

Seems to me more training or practice with a lesser gun would leave you better prepared than a better gun with no training or practice. I don’t know if there is such a thing as a “perfect” gun.

5 Likes

Range membership hands down. Where are you, and how are you, going to practice with any pew pew, let alone a new shiny one?

I really really really miss my home range. Now I have to take an hour to get to a range rather then step out my back door…

3 Likes

My club membership is $125 a year but we also have to do 18 service hours a year. We can bring 3 guests a time, but you are the RSO for them so not shooting at the same time, unless your spouse is also a member and agrees to be the RSO for you and your friends :slight_smile:

Club members also get cost + 10% on ammo, bullseye targets for a quarter.

2 Likes

Wow, some pretty insightful answers. I’m glad I asked the question. I am planning on getting the membership and sticking with the edc gun I’ve had for a year now. Not greatly fond of it but it is familiar to me after all this time. After some research (reading PDN articles and watching tons of Fulll30 videos) I think it would be better for me to invest in the training. The thinking being that a Honda might not be a Lincoln, but it will still get me to work everyday. Ok, that analogy doesn’t quite work but I guess it gets the sentiment across. I can always get another gun later, but I should invest in my skills today. Can’t wait to hear what you guys think.

4 Likes

@ShawnShine.
Practice, practice, practice… That’s the first rule for firearm user.
You can drive Honda, you can drive Lincoln… but both cars need a good driver.
You can change guns, but training, lessons, practice make you great shooter.

3 Likes

Man, every time I see something like this it reminds me how happy I am to live in the country😊

8 Likes

While I don’t disagree with you, my club does a bunch of training nights for $3 a night. We do a lot of 2 handed, strong hand, support hand, back to the range drills etc. It’s entertaining and great training. We run 14 people back to back and have had 3 full lines.

1 Like

If you have a lousy gun, the " training" you are going to be putting in is going to be building bad habits to overcome the lousiness of your guns. YMMV

1 Like