30.06 Semi-auto AR style?

are there any out there? Can it be done? I want one!

In an AR platform, NO. The cartridge is too long. You can get a AR-10 in 308 though. There are a few hunting type rifle with detachable magazines in 30-06 available. Then of course the practical solution is an M1 Garand.

Cheers,

Craig6

2 Likes

Sure you can! Noreen makes them: Noreen BN36X3 Carbine

There was another company that was making a modular one, where the magazine part of the lower could be swapped out for different sizes. I cannot remember the name, or find the company in searches.

I know a gunsmith that built one. He has it on the wall at his shop.

The M1 Garand is the rifle that won World War II and is a fantastic addition to anyone’s collection. You need to keep in mind that your historic and treasured M1 Garand has narrowly defined port pressures. Go over that pressure and you risk doing serious damage to your rifle. If you use modern, commercial 30.06 factory loads you run this risk. You should shoot only military surplus “M2 ball” 30.06 or commercial factory loads specifically made for the M1’s unique needs. Another alternative would be to hand load the cartridges yourself.

I believe an alternative to the 308 on the AR-10 platform is the 6.5 Creedmoor.

2 Likes

When I was younger, I had a couple Frankenstein systems… like a precision Ruger Mini 30. Although I don’t chase after those creations now-a-days, I don’t discourage people that want to be different. Around 20 years ago, I went through “Accuracy Systems” in CO for those customizations. I can’t vouch for them today, since I haven’t contacted them since then. However, I love that old rifle… for the record, it’s dang heavy with a thick barrel.

If you google their website, they list these calibers for their AR10 conversions (but state that you need to contact them to see if one not listed can be done). I wonder if possible conversions are related to what length cartridge will fit into an AR10 magazine:

22-250 Remington
243 Winchester
6MM Creedmoor
257 Roberts
257 Roberts Ackley Improved
260 Remington

6.5 Creedmoor
7MM 08 Remington
7MM SAUM
7MM WSM
284 Winchester

308 Winchester
7.62 x 51 MM NATO
308 Winchester Match
300 Savage
300 SAUM

300 WSM
325 WSM
338 Federal
358 Winchester
450 Marlin

@Scotty all of those cartridges are short action which will fit in an AR-10 magazine. The 30-06 is a long action cartridge. That being said I would like to see the design specs for the 300 WSM because as pressures go that is a potent player. I run my 30-06 hot at 2800 fps with a 210/208gr boolit but I regularly hit steel at 1 mile (1760 yards). It goes subsonic at ~1745 depending on atmospherics but still makes the plate swing. I’m a big fan of the 30-06 and drive heavy boolits to maximum effect and save barrel life in the process. My precision LR 30-06 is north of 3,000 rounds now and is still sub 1/2 MOA accurate past 400 yards. I’ve not had a 300WM last more that 1500 rounds. I’m still playing with the 300WSM and think the sweet spot is a 190gr boolet at about 2950 fps which gives some fair respectable returns for a short action cartridge.

Cheers,

Craig6

2 Likes

If you can dream it somebody can make it. Here is a prime example, .300 Win Mag in an AR platform.

https://falkordefense.com/rifles/petra/

1 Like

Virtually no recoil, that and don’t use nutt’n but these loads… Serious physics equations to have solved. @James James? When people talk about such guns, what are reliable strings of fire numbers? Or, is it today’s match grade burn is just that clean? I’m just mentally circling around a recoil-less hammer of Thor

1 Like

I’m apologize, I do not understand your question. Are you asking if that rifle would have a lot of recoil and if the cartridge would make the gas system really dirty?

@James
Hey James, thanks for the reply. Since I don’t spend a lot of time behind rifles, other than a pneumatic pellet, what I remember about those from my past is like a 12ga single barrel shotgun; there was always a lot of punch into the shoulder, black dust down the barrel. Even a reasonable example of a common semi-auto 30-.06 in the '80s (HK 940) still reminded me there was stout recoil to be ready for.

Nowadays, people are sending these large projectiles downrange and the balance in physics is so well made in the higher end product, the mark is set at “little to no recoil”. How long does a system this finely tuned stay ‘stable’? Reliably printing the paper with sub-minute of angle performance? How fussy does a gun like this become?

Obviously, if you’re paying for the ‘best’ gun, you don’t expect to shoot any old garbage rounds down it with perfect results. So, if I’m thinking about the match rounds the mfg has decided works best down the rifling, barrel harmonics, and out the crown; I was just wondering if the propellants today are so complete and clean-burning they leave little to no fouling over a long run of rounds?

Thank you for clarifying. I hunt with a .300 Win Mag, and I do not shoot it much. The recoil is pretty bad from my Tikka T3 Superlight. I imagine with the buffer system on this AR there is considerably less recoil than with my bolt action. I also imagine for that price tag, a lot of what you’re paying for goes back into the cost of their research and development.

You will get sub MOA for about 2,000 rounds which is the barrel life of a great .300 Win Mag barrel.

I also hunt with a black powder rifle, so after cleaning my Hawkin nothing from modern manufactured rifles cartridges seems that dirty.

I won’t pretend to be an ammo expert, but there were multiple versions of 30-06. The original, intended for the 1903 Springfield, had 150 grains. The M1 round was intended for the M1 rifle and was significantly faster and more powerful than earlier versions of 30-06. The M2 was meant to behave more like the earlier 30-06 round, because not every unit had the M1 rifles, yet.

I think this is why Garand lovers recommend M2 ammo. But most of the new 30-06 I find today is 150 grain and is meant for oddballs like me who love old rifles. I wouldn’t say you can’t buy modern ammo, just pay attention to the box. I accidentally bought some 30-06 at a gun show that was 230 grain. It’s still sitting unused; I won’t put that in my rifles.