22LR Personal Defense

Saw these at the LGS today so I bought a box. Might be nice for the hidden, in the drawer tool.

5 Likes

I’m sure they will do fine, I’m just a fan of CCI. :slightly_smiling_face:

6 Likes

Anything CCI makes that’s packaged like that (not loose) is consistently the most reliable and consistent .22lr you can buy.

And they make it in Punch? That is interesting

5 Likes

I wouldn’t want to be shot with one of those, or a bunch of those. lol

I need to start hunting for those little clear boxes for 22WMR. Mine all came in cardboard boxes and they suck to transport!

3 Likes

I tried some and had a few jams from a S&W possibility from ejecting the longer brass. I bought some more to try in a different handgun and see how it does. I wish I had some Stingers to compare them with to see if the long brass is the culprit.
On a positive note, they seemed stronger on steel targets and maybe slightly louder than bulk pack thunderbolts.
I need to look into a new chronograph.
“Diamonds are forever and shooting chrony is working on it.” Until the China virus came along. I suppose NY nonsense put the final nail in the coffin for them.

3 Likes

I was thinking this one, Revolver so feeding shouldn’t be a problem.
I’ll need to try it out first…

4 Likes

@Mike164 The best personal defense 22lr ammo I’ve ever used is Winchester Silvertip Segmenting HP 37g. Check out some YouTube videos on it awesome stuff. :us: :us: :us:

2 Likes

I use 40 grain solids on the farm to kill pigs for customers. Usually the swine can’t resist looking at you, so the vast majority get the 40 grains in the forehead halfway between the eyes and top of the skull. Occasionally on a smaller bbq pig the bullet will exit the bottom side of pig on close shots with a more downward shooting angle.
I had a buddy lined up to shoot one for a regular customer when I was out of town. Buddy called me in a panic asking where my ammo was. He had hollow points in his rifle and said the bullet bounced off the skull.
One other time I had a 40 grain not penetrate the skull. But it was a larger hog and further away than normal. I suspect it was due to the angle of the skull at impact. She succumbed to a 40 grain solid in the ear after she stopped running around as fast.
So with what I have seen firsthand I use solids in my 22 for living targets. Like I said, I plan to do more testing with the Federal Punch and see how they perform being 25% lighter than what I currently trust. They do have a nice flat across the tip that Elmer Keith would probably approve of.

2 Likes