22lr or .380 for my wife who is just getting into guns?

The first time I tried an LCP 380, I hated it, Tossing firecrackers waiting for the fuse to disappear first was preferable. A small 380 is snappy, no matter how you slice it.

4 Likes

Yes. I forgot that Taurus makes it also.

2 Likes

Yes. I forgot about the Taurus and once had one. It is still in production, I think. I believe the Beretta is out of production, but they are around. Maybe not as stout as .380, but so much easier to carry.

3 Likes

A misfire/jam in a 22 is a great way to learn tap and rack for clearing!

3 Likes

J.WoodSr ,There’s nothing wrong with using a 22lr for an every day carry and defense gun. Especially with today’s choice of ammo…

3 Likes

I think the .380 is the better choice. I spent 37 and a half years in law enforcement, we wouldn’t carry anything smaller than a .380for a back up. .22’s can stop, but I’m not sure I would risk my life with that cal. There are small and concealable 9mm firearms and I would take her out to shoot some of those. Since about 2005, there is very little difference between a 9mm, .40 and a .45. I know people will argue with me about this, but have they been through a ballistics demo? I have. Before 2005 I would have rec. a .40 or larger, but now the improvements they made with the 9mm, I have no problems with them.

3 Likes

Yes and Im not arguing caliber b/c I use a .380. I prefer it. But regardless of caliber I believe its better to let the person who will be carrying decide what is most comfortable for them. Bigger isn’t necessarily always better. Right?

1 Like

I would suggest 380 with some underwood self defense rounds.

1 Like

Welcome to the family and god bless you.

Beretta used to make a .380 Tip up barrel. Medium sized gun and hard to find these days. I’d recommend a Smith EZ

1 Like

For a first time shooter, especially women in particular, there is nothing wrong with starting out small, in fact i encourage it. Like teaching anyone new to firearms, typically people can come off as being nervous or scared even. Even relating to carry, sure the ballistics prove that 22lr really isn’t a threat stopper at center mass shot placement…but it sure beats the hell out of carrying a knife or pepper spray, it’s a deterrent just by image alone, and most people will not speculate on what caliber it “may be” in the heat of a altercation. That being said, one could suggest having her shoot a 22lr- then work into a .380 caliber pistol. 380 with a proper load can make a very good self defense pistol, most companies like ruger and smith and Wesson actually tailor some of the firearms they make just for female shooters. My mother carried a pk380 by walther. Never had an issue and with her arthritis the blowback design is naturally easier to rack and manipulate as well. Even a good smith and Wesson lady smith loaded with 38 wad cutters is a formidable weapon and also female user friendly.

2 Likes

The Tomcat/Bobcat is on GunBroker a lot…
I think they still manufacture it!

1 Like

I’ll have to go against the grain just a little bit here. As the initial title of the post says “just getting into guns” you wouldn’t necessarily want to learn how to shoot on a subcompact carry gun of any caliber. They are notoriously inaccurate due to the short barrel and short sight radius. They are hard to handle due to their size and may even be more difficult to manipulate again due to the size.

IMHO I like to teach “pistol shooting” with a full size .22LR such as a Ruger MK pick a flavor, or Browning Buckmark or AMT or something similar. Learn the FUN-DUH-Mentals of sight alignment, breathing and trigger control on something that is big enough that you have something to hold on to and where you can at least SEE what you are doing. To this day if I get too much out of practice I will hit my old Ruger MKII and tune up before I go back and start blasting rounds out of a 3.5" 45ACP. Having a good solid target grade .22 pistol pays you dividends at a much cheaper price and a shorter learning curve than a sub compact anything or a full size anything. Plus they are great to teach kids on.

Cheers,

Craig6

1 Like

A 22 is a fun pistol. I have owned quite a few, For self defense a 380 is the better choice on all levels. There is 380 ammo that has real stopping power. The recoil is NOT bad & they are inexpensive quality pistols. Please look at the ballistics of the 22magnum as opposed to the 380. Worlds apart

1 Like

Just remember, if it has been said before I will say it again, in many states to qualify for a CCW, LTC or whatever the state might call it a 380 is the minimum, Some places maybe a 32. Some of those states, not all, will let you carry a 22 after you qualify. California will only let you carry what you qualified with. So if you want to carry a 380, 9mm and a 45 you have to qualify with them all. And in that state you cannot qualify with a 22. Not even 22 mag.

1 Like