22lr or .380 for my wife who is just getting into guns?

380 is better than 22 in most cases. That being said, i use my ruger 22 when teaching brand new shooters. People seem to forget Reagan almost died from a single 22lr bullet. Fortunately the explosive round did not go boom. Like others have said, its better than nothing if you can place your shoots accurately.

4 Likes

My sainted septuagenarian wife just bought herself a .380 S&W to carry. It’s easier to cock, load, and manage, especially when you reach your twilight years.

She’s a superb shot and proved she can safely and efficiently handle something other than her traditional .38/.357 five-shot revolver. Aging is cruel and one must adapt.

I’m pretty certain her new “companion” will serve her well until she can locate the Fountain of Youth.

6 Likes

Sig P365 9mm great carry gun

4 Likes

Now don’t hang up but I suggest the LCR .327 magnum down loaded with .32 H&R magnum with 85 grain bullet. If still too hot drop to ,32 S&W long, then S&W .32 short.
I have the LCR and I am very pleased with it, good trigger, 6 rounds. The real advantage is the ability to go up and down in power level by changing loaded rounds. Consider!

3 Likes

If it’s for carry, go with the biggest that she can handle effectively. If it’s the 22, so be it. That will be better than no gun. Remember, no one wants to leak. When she can handle something bigger, she can move up. Hope this helps. If just for fun, 22 is perfect until she wants to try bigger.

2 Likes

So, J. WoodsSr, would you want someone else talking you into choosing something as intimate and personal as “your own gun?” Let your lovely, PARTNER, wife handle, field strip, assemble, load a magazine for, dry fire, receive instruction at the range from the range master, fire at a range - ALL the potential weapons SHE is interested in for HER every day carry weapon?

3 Likes

Yes i will be letting her make whatever decision of what she wants to carry etc. I plan on taking her to my range because i get free rentals to see what she may like or pick out or… This wasnt the case of she better go with a 380 or im pissed … Im gliding very gentle… Im super happy if she will just do a .22 thats a win for me right there. This is a gentle situation so i havent even mentioned anything to her yet. I havent even said hey babe should we get that gun you wanted or lets do the gun shop today… Thats why i asked here first… Im not trying to be a jerk or anything to any answer i respect them all but if i dont respond to you guys in truth i cant get the truth i need. It was more a should i mention 380 cause from what she has seen not even felt yet is the lcp2 in 22lr. The only one she has felt and put in her hands is my g19 so hard compairison. I may even get the lcp2 in 22lr because i am looking at a 22lr bring it home show her it so shell hold it etc. And go to the range let her shoot it. She does trust me and i asked at one point if she would like it better if a female instructor would make her feel better her first time she said no. I think its going to be a day at the range in the a.m. when no one is there to make her more nervious.

3 Likes

Almost 50 posts into this thread so someone has probably already thought of this. But it just clicked for me. Have you considered one of the side arms that supports a 22 conversion barrel? She could learn on 22 and ‘switching over’ would probably be emotionally easy for her if it’s the same gun / her gun…
Just an idea…

4 Likes

Thats a great idea actually and im not sure if anyone did mention that. Most said get the 22lr and you can get the big brother 380 later … Im going to look into that like asap…

4 Likes

Best bet, let her decide. My wife went from .22 to owning a couple of 9mm, a 1911 .45ACP and a 12 gauge. But she had to arrive at that all on her own.

4 Likes

Sounds great! I appreciate your candor and details in your response to my query. She not doubt appreciates it as well. And will make a well informed decision to be most comfortable in her every day carry weapon. Here is a little bonus, get a copy of the movie, The Secret, available at www.thesecret.tv it is only an hour long, and sit down one evening with her and watch it. It has the potential to open amazing things for you in your life.
Gary

3 Likes

Thank you i personally havent seen it and i will mention it tonight we are always looking for interesting things to watch with one another!

1 Like

Texas now allows folks taking the shooting part of the LTC exam to use a .22! Until the recent change in the law the smallest acceptable caliber was 380. Start her on the 22. If she wants to legally carry you probably should be sure in your state what calibers are acceptable for any testing. Just make sure she knows that accuracy will be the most important thing that she can work on because she will not have the bigger projectile backed by more powder to do more damage wherever it hits.

3 Likes

Don’t ever bother to try to figure out women. Surely you know, that is a losing proposition.

Years ago, I offered to take a female friend shooting. I had the perfect plan … or so I thought. I brought an assortment of pistols of different calibers, so that she could try them all. The selection included a .22 LR Ruger target pistol, a .38 Special, a 9 mm Para, a .357 Rem Mag, a .40 S&W, a 10 mm Auto, and a Desert Eagle in .50 AE. (No, I didn’t have a .45 ACP.) This selection would provide her with opportunity to find what she was comfortable with. I figured her to be on the squeemish side and figured that she would settle somewhere between the .22 LR and the .38 Special. Wrong!

She shot each, as I instructed her in proper gun handling, safety, aiming, and lectured a little about the ballistics of each cartridge. She gave each at least one shot. When it was all done, she expressed how she felt about each one. As expected, she found the .22 LR to be easy; the .38 Special to be more to her liking; the 9 mm was o.k., but a little more than what she could handle; the .357 Rem Mag was too much for more than one shot; as was the .40 S&W and 10 mm Auto. But the one she really liked was the .50 AE Desert Eagle!

Naturally, she spent the rest of the range time using up my .50 AE ammo. $$$!! I was expecting her to use the cheap .22 LR.

Recently, I told my wife that I want to get my CC license. After our discussion, she decided to do likewise. I took her to a gun show and let her pick out whatever she wanted. She chose a Glock model 43. Again, I was expecting a weaker cartridge.

5 Likes

Never underestimate a strong woman!!

3 Likes

I am a USCCA Instructor and have trained hundreds of men and women, some with no desire to hold a gun. But once they handled a firearm, they were hooked. Let her try a .380 (I recommend a Sig P238), and some 9mm, like a Smith & Wesson Shield. They are very easy with the recoil spring, easy to rack and fit well in small to medium sized hands. Try and let me know how that goes! Congratulations to you and your wife for her taking the first step toward personal freedom.

1 Like

Thsnk you very much ! And i will certoanly get back to you !

1 Like

What is she willing to carry? Something is better than nothing. Take herbto a range where you can rent both and let her try both and decide.
My personal opinion is the LCP is not a beginners gun. It sucks to shoot accurately. I notice the recoil in my LCP .380 more than my Glock 19; that might be an issue for someone who doesn’t manage recoil well. Might also consider having her try small S&W’s (Shield? The Bodyguard sucks imo - but that is just my opinion) and the Glock 42 which is nit much bigger. With either of those you add features I like such as drop safety, striker fired instead of hammer, etc. That makes it inheriently safer to carry “hot.”
Granted, all of this is just my opinion… Overall she should choose what she is willing to carry and use.

2 Likes

I prefer centerfires for reliability. Does anyone beside me like .25 cal. pocket pistols? I think it is a good starter for women. Beretta flip barrel is so easy for weaker hands. It can be found in .32 as well.

2 Likes

Do you mean like the .22 tip-up barrels? (see Taurus PT22)?

2 Likes