2 residences makes purchases a problem

1. My primary residence is in Florida…I have a FL CCW permit.

2. My seasonal residence is in Nevada…homeowner/taxpayer…I have a non-resident CCW permit. I’m stuck here for months due to medical issues. Won’t be in FL til fall.

A. Nevada shops will not sell firearms to an out of state resident without involving an FFL in Florida. Florida FFL requires in person pickup. X-nope.

B. With shops being empty, I’ve started to look online for purchases, including shops I would sponsor if i was in Florida. Non-Florida Online shops requires Florida FFL for inbound transfer and background check. Florida FFL requires in person pickup.

Ç. I’m going to purchase a gun at my FL FFL’s gun store by web. Perhaps then he can ship it to my Vegas FFL for background check and form 4473 , FFL transfer fee and then I pick it up?

Geez what a process.

Am I missing something easier and obvious?

2 Likes

Yes, the black market, of course – but I would not advise anyone to commit a crime. I’m merely pointing out that gun control laws don’t effect people who don’t mind breaking the law. They only impact people who try to obey the law and don’t actually need a babysitter. Thus, making your life far more expensive and difficult while the criminal will just go steal a gun on the streets of Nevada or buy or barter for one from a criminal buddy of his there in Nevada. He will have a new gun in no time and for less $$$ than you will, sir. Nothing was improved by having such a ridiculous regulatory environment. But a law-abiding citizen and homeowner in 2 states who has been background checked ad nauseum and is currently struggling with a medical condition which restricts his freedom of movement is being harassed.

This is exactly what they mean when they say “common sense gun safety measures.”

5 Likes

If you purchase a firearm online (doesn’t matter if you live in that state or not), you will have to have it transferred to an FFL in your state. You have to be a citizen of the state where you’re doing the 4473 background check for picking up handguns.

2 Likes

And that is the quandary, the ATF states that if you have homes in more than one state, you can be considered a resident and purchase handguns in either state while residing in that state. The caveat is that for the FFL to process the Form 4473, you typically need some form of government ID that shows your residence in that state.

ATF Acceptable Forms of ID

The identification document presented by the transferee must have a photograph of the transferee, as well as the transferee’s name, residence address, and date of birth. The identification document must also be valid (e.g., unexpired) and have been issued by a governmental entity for the purpose of identification of individuals. An example of an acceptable identification document is a current driver’s license.

A combination of government issued documents may be used to meet the requirements of an identification document. For example, a passport which contains the name, date of birth, and photograph of the holder may be combined with a voter or vehicle registration card containing the residence address of the transferee in order to comply with the identification document requirements. A passport issued by a foreign government is also acceptable so long as it has all of the required information.

Whether a hunting license or permit issued by a retailer meets the definition of an identification document is State law specific. This license or permit meets the definition of an identification document if the State in which the retailer is located has authorized the retailer to supply State issued documents. If the State recognizes the hunting license or permit as government issued, then this license or permit would qualify as being government issued for the purposes of supplementing another government issued identification document.

A description of the location of the residence on an identification document, such as a rural route, is sufficient to constitute a residence address provided the purchaser resides in a State or locality where it is considered to be a legal residence address.

1 Like

Can you get an NV state ID or another state issued document (car/cycle/boat registration) using your NV address. If so, it appears you can use that with a passport to meet the ID requirements?

2 Likes

I have a NV seasonal residence ID. It is not a gold star ID. I am currently trying to buy a gun from my FFL in FL and having it transferred to an FFL here in NV. My concern is that I can’t determine if that will enable the NV FFL to file the 4473 form so I can pick it up. I have a gold star FL drivers license, a passport, a passport card, CCW permits in both states, pay real estate tax in both states and have both covid shots (lol).

1 Like

Visit or call the FFL and find out what IDs are acceptable.

You’d think a 250K house would trump a car but apparently not.

3 Likes

The title to a car is a state issued legal document. A deed is a legal document but it is not state issued.

Will they not accept the seasonal ID?

1 Like

Not sure about the legality but… Get a Nevada ID with your Nevada address? Not a driver’s license - just an ID. Neither state has state income tax so this should address the residency for Nevada Is think.

1 Like

Ah! But do you always wear at least two masks in public? :crazy_face:

2 Likes

They will not accept seasonal ID. You must be a resident. Involves drivers license and car registration just like Florida. But Florida has a different interpretation for gun purchases. If you own property and live in it even seasonally, you are still a resident for gun purchases.

1 Like

If you get a Nevada Real ID card, you must surrender your DL or ID from another state.

I double-checked with our Reciprocity Map / concealed carry law expert and we found this additional reference for y’all:

ATF has previously addressed the eligibility of individuals to acquire firearms who maintain residences in more than one State. Federal regulations at 27 CFR 478.11 (definition of State of Residence), Example 2, clarify that a U.S. citizen with homes in two States may, during the period of time the person actually resides in a particular State, purchase a firearm in that State. See also ATF Publication 5300.4 (2005), Question and Answer B12, page 179. Similarly, in ATF Ruling 80-21 (ATFB 1980-4, 25), ATF held that, during the time college students actually reside in a college dormitory or at an offcampus location, they are considered residents of the State where the on-campus or offcampus housing is located.

You can find the full ATF document here.

4 Likes

Awesome, thanks!! I actually stumbled into this as fact here in NV. I just went to the FFL and was golden.