2 guys on a moped

So I just had an interesting situation, that I see a lot in Brazil. I was sitting in my car on break at work, smoking a cigarette; when I looked up to see a moped with two Riders on it, headed straight at my parked car. So they should have been on the other side of the road, since they were going the opposite direction of where I was faced, but here they were heading right at my car. I watch them continue to approach for about 50 feet until they were about 20 feet away from my vehicle. I’ve seen a ton of videos from Brazil where two guys on a moped almost always means an armed robbery. So I put my hand on my gun and partially unholster and I changed how I was sitting in my car in case I would need to fire. It was at this moment that I could see the driver of the moped texting with one hand, and it was at that moment that he also looked up and corrected course and kept on going.
My question is should I have given them more of a benefit of the doubt, or did I let experiences from other places affect my judgment? Lastly, what would you have done?

18 Likes

You were nothing more than vigilant. No harm no foul.

18 Likes

Be thankful you were practicing the codes of awareness!!! AND i need to add you are safe.

11 Likes

I’d do the same thing. Good situational awareness.

13 Likes

I would of done the something, glad everything turned out good for ya. :smiley:

6 Likes

Thanks everyone! @Cobra @Jeffrey26 @SKIdaho @Michael554

4 Likes

As far as I am concerned you were just being diligent. I would’ve done the same thing if I saw 2 guys in a moped coming right at me. It would’ve got my attention anyway and I would’ve been more alert towards them. If that was an M.O. being used elsewhere then it should’ve definitely made you more situationally aware.

10 Likes

You were just being diligent. You did not flash them, they had no idea you were armed or that you viewed them as a potential threat. I have done similar things when stopped at a light and suddenly out of nowhere a group of young adults on bikes appeared in the road around my truck.

5 Likes

@Brian139 @Johnnyq60 thanks gentlemen! Its comforting to know others have similar thought processes

3 Likes

It’s called situational awareness. You are aware of the many ways that danger may come at you and you know to look for early warning signs so that you aren’t a victim.

At the end of the day, is it better to be oblivious and react to bad situations or be prepared for them? I’d prefer to be prepared because reacting means I better be faster, more accurate, and luckier than my assailant and there’s just too many things that can go wrong for me to want to leave it to chance.

5 Likes

'‘Engage your brain before you engage your weapon.’'As General Mattis said, ‘‘Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.’’

7 Likes

I like this, because it makes me look back and think, perhaps instead of taking action, I could have just honked. Though that would have taken away valuable time if it was going to play out bad.

3 Likes

You did the right thing. Every time we go to the Dominican republic where we can’t bring our guns. Many are riding 2 or 3 up in and out of traffic. Always on our guard waiting for them to try something with us gringos

4 Likes

It may not be too long before people here start doing the same thing they are in other countries with the mopeds. They will learn that it is an easy get away in traffic and something they can pull off. I think you were smart to keep an eye on them.
You suggested honking and that might have woken them up. It would also tell them you saw them coming and maybe not an easy target. The honk might have been a good idea, however, you also hear of people getting mad being honked at, so hard to say.

4 Likes

Don’t forget to look for body language. The driver looking at his phone may have been a great clue - or a good destruction technique.

Awareness is definitely important and your prior experiences will shape how you see things. Keeping an open mind (prepared mind) is helpful - for both good and bad situations.

3 Likes

It’s always better to stay ahead of the reaction curve, you were aware and predetermined to keep yourself safe and alive. I wouldn’t change a thing.

3 Likes

I think I would have done what you did.

3 Likes

In driving, you should ALWAYS leave yourself an “out”. In EDC, it makes sense as well. Be vigilant, be aware. You did well and shouldn’t have to second guess.

5 Likes

Thank you!

2 Likes

I see no problems with your actions. We’re products of our environment. Those of us that grew up in the big cities learn to see the signs when something bad is about to happen. Those that were raised in the rural areas learn a different set of survival skills.
The only thing I might have done differently is I would of had my 1911 laying across my lap as a threat approaches.

3 Likes