1911 myths that need debunking

Damn!!! Can’t say I have!

Amen, pass the ammunition. As I’ve said MANY times before, I love the 1911, it was the VERY first pistol I shot as a kid. And, I have worked on many 1911’s in my life and they are reliable. Until here recently my main sidearm was the Rock Island Tactical 1911 with a hogue laser grip in the pictures below.

Now, when I bought the SIG SP2022, I rotate back and forth. As for the glock aspect, I may not personally like them, but they are decent firearms. I just personally have had and tried gen 2,3,4 and 5 in 9mm, 40 and .45 ACP and within a matter of no time I sold or traded them.

1 Like

I almost bought one of these a few years back (I walked away with an M&P because that’s what I do. I decide to buy a cool new gun and then I walk away with another M&P). I fired it at the range and it’s a really cool gun, it’s also affordable for a metal gun.

1 Like

There’s a lot of people who simply don’t know anything else and frankly…the shops could do a lot better in educating but to them…a $1000 gun is better than a something less than that in many cases.

Listen, I certainly don’t want to suggest that there aren’t people, male or female, who aren’t amazing at shooting a .45. My only point was that many old timers who served and don’t have the muscle strength to hold or handle the recoil would be better suited with another platform.

I accept that there are 1911’s in all sorts of calibers…true…there are. I’m just saying that people like John, an elderly 81 year old who I met at a range one day who was there with his new purchase of a 1911, struggled to hold it up and handle the recoil but had a much easier time shooting another firearm in another caliber style. My neighbor Jerry, who finally decided to go out and buy a gun originally thought he should get a 1911 because it was what he “knew” was a good firearm, yet…because we’re neighbors, I took him out and let him shoot my friend’s 1911, and several of my firearms till we found one he really liked and handled well.

Listen, nothing against the 1911 fanboys out there, its a great platform and has been around forever. However, a firearm that one person says is perfect for them, isn’t necessarily perfect for another. I’m of the mindset that if you’re a first time buyer, go to a range that rents firearms and try a few out. See what fits well, see what’s comfortable to shoot, see what you like and then invest in that firearm. You can always buy your 1911 later out of nostalgia if you’d like.

I really do wish more people tried out a firearm at a range before buying (like myself). I would never have purchased a Kahr CW9 or any number of other mistakes had I tried them out first at a range. Obviously some models aren’t available at ranges…but for the most part, SOME range should have the popular models.

and yes I used false names for my neighbor and the guy I met at the range. True stories…false names.

2 Likes

Fell asleep somewhere in the middle of common knowledge. But carry on…

Common to some, useful to others. No one is obligated to read it. Glad you got a good nap out of it :+1:

5 Likes

We agree on all points. Not all guns work for everyone. The only way to be absolutely certain is to try one out!

5 Likes

This is absolutely true, when purchasing a firearm you need to do your homework, this is how I do it, if the firearm looks good, feels good when you handle it and are comfortable with it, then that’s the firearm for you, this mythology might not work for all, but give it a try.

2 Likes

I’m enjoying this thread. And whatever a fanboy is. I do like the 1911’s and I guess I’ve heard most of the myths. This I have learned, never argue the point of the merits or failures of the 1911. That they are still popular and still in production speaks volumes. I bought an early Kimber ultra carry compact when they came out. Then all we heard was, “that alloy frame will not hold up to the 45acp punishment”. But it has been a very reliable durable pistol. My son claimed it and still carries it everyday in MY Sparks holster.

4 Likes

I love, love, love my Sig 1911. I first bought one fore my husband for Christmas. The first time I shot it, I was plotting how to either take it away from him or get my own. So, I bought my own. I also bought Wilson Combat mags for it right away. The first time I took it to the range, I was amazed at what a good shooter I am. It wasn’t me, it was the weight. No recoil to speak of (less than my little P238) and accurate as hell. The only problem is, I can’t carry it because it prints in most women’s clothing. Like you said, it is the last gun I would part with. I should mention, I’m a 75 year old great-grandmother who never fired a handgun until I was about 65 and bored and needing something to challenge me. Since I started shooting (with a Buckmark 22, which I still have and enjoy) I have shot pretty much every caliber there is. The young guys at the range try to get to me by having me shoot their new whatever. The only gun I haven’t enjoyed was my sons Desert Eagle .44 caliber. That was just because it was so heavy, that after 4 rounds I couldn’t hold it up with my old arms. Now, I lift weights to build up my arms to have another go at it.

10 Likes

You’re spot on about the 1911 and magazines. I have been replacing my magazines with Wilson Combat for a while. My Sig 1911 will handle anything I put in it without having a problem.

6 Likes

You are an AWESOME lady! And your husband is a lucky man :grin:

5 Likes

Boy, do I appreciate your setting the record straight. I was one of those naive new IPSC shooters who bought a Colt Series 80 1911. It was an unmitigated piece of junk. The “fixes”cost more than the gun. A few years ago I bought a Ruger SR 1911. It was great right out of the box and even better after customization. You are right: Most 1911 criticisms are myths based on decades-old, faulty products and seasoned with abundant ignorance. One other thing: If this is such a bad design, why do so many elite gunmakers use it?

5 Likes

I say the same thing, while I shot the pistols I own very well, they might not work for other people. I’ve shot more pistols than I can recall, so I have a very good idea of what works and none of them cost more than $600. I train constantly and help train others on my range.

All in all, I NEVER recommend buying a pricey firearm to protect yourself for the simple reason, if you (God forbid) have to use it for protection, you’ll NEVER get it back around here.

2 Likes

Very nice write up!

3 Likes

Ain’t that but the truth. I love a few of my carry weapons and living in insaneville (aka SoCal) I know that if I EVER had to use them, I’d never even be able to buy them again…so I hope I NEVER have to use them. Not that there would be a moment of hesitation if I did…only that I’d likely shed a tear and wave goodbye to what has become a part of my everyday carry ensemble.

3 Likes

Welcome aboard @Don64. Another myth, "series 80 Colts are junk. I may or may not own/shot :wink: a few series 80s and no problems to report. What type of fixes did you have to do?

1 Like

NOTE this caveat: This Colt was made in the bad old days before the company’s bankruptcy. Certain other 1911 brands were just as bad. Hence my comment about old, faulty products. Be that as it may, the bigger problems … Would not feed, constantly jammed. Tried McCormick and other mags. Ported chamber mouth and polished feed ramp. Would only feed 230 gr RNL with any reliability. Frame so poorly cast that rails had malformed ends. Frame, slide and barrel bushing so loose that accuracy was poor and erratic. (May also have contributed to feeding problem.) Installed full-length guide rod. Swaged rails – a lot. Installed custom barrel bushing, hand fitted around Colt’s egg-shaped ( I kid you not!) barrel. Eventually discarded trigger, sear and hammer for better Wilson and STI parts. Sights were terrible; replaced them. Colt’s “enhanced” backstrap and “beavertail” grip safety hampered proper grip; replaced both with custom-fitted Ed Brown.

1 Like

Thank you! I’m glad you appreciated it.

1 Like